Written by By Jack Knowles, CNN
The Ontario government has decided to maintain a one-month licensing phase-out that prevents locations like bars and nightclubs from expanding their activities. As a result, many smaller clubs have already left the province, according to the Toronto Star.
The province’s Premier, Doug Ford, has been controversial since taking office earlier this year.
In the past, Ford has said he’ll rescind all of Ontario’s cap-and-trade carbon tax, which is scheduled to go into effect January 1, 2019. This weekend, however, the Ontario government announced that it would be extending the cap-and-trade program until May 31, 2019.
“The cap-and-trade program is working, and businesses are getting smarter about how they manage their carbon footprint,” Mike Van Boekel, acting chief executive officer of the province’s Ministry of Energy, Utilities and Climate Change, said in a press release.
“The government will be very smart about rolling back corporate welfare and will replace the federal carbon tax with sensible carbon pricing that caters to the local needs of our province and businesses,” he said.
Ford took office after his predecessor, Kathleen Wynne, announced her plans to leave office following the Ontario election.
Ontario is an integral hub for Canadian casino giant, Melco Resorts & Entertainment, whose executive chairman and CEO, Lawrence Ho, is a high-profile resident in Toronto.
Thousands of people protested in October of last year to oppose the plans to have the company open a mega-casino in the city’s downtown core. The protests were orchestrated by Toronto’s Green Party.