The Yemeni minister of information confirmed Monday that missiles attacked a mosque and a religious school in Aden on Sunday, killing and injuring dozens of people, al-Masirah reported.
Civilian helicopters from the Saudi-led coalition operated by the Islamic kingdom and its allies flew above the targeted sites at a later date in attempt to identify the injured or dead.
The State Department on Monday urged all parties to halt any form of retaliatory attacks in Yemen and said there had been no indication that the explosions were due to the U.S.-backed Yemen coalition airstrike campaign against the Houthi rebels.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo strongly condemned the “unspeakable” attacks in the attacks in the port city of Aden, making clear that the U.S. stands with the Yemeni people and condemns such acts.
Officials with the coalition said they were investigating the attacks on the mosques, and said they “strongly condemn any attack against civilians.”
The Waqsha mosque in Aden was hit at a Sunday afternoon prayer, killing at least 22 people and wounding 45 others, according to authorities. According to the ministry of information, a total of 29 people were killed and more than 50 were injured in the attack.
The al-Azaq school located in al-Aden town was targeted for targeting on Sunday. After the initial strike, the blast was followed by a secondary blast. Of the people injured, 21 were children, the ministry said.
Yemen has been devastated by the war since 2014, with a Saudi-led coalition bombing Houthi rebels while the island nation’s government has been backed by the U.S. and Arab allies. At least 10,000 people have been killed in the fighting, and millions of others face starvation.
™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.