It looks like Tesla CEO Elon Musk may have taken another dig at regulators, after it was revealed that the electric carmaker still hasn’t recalled a single Model S or Model X after being warned about its failings earlier this year.
The company, which is currently fighting a lawsuit regarding a fatal crash in Autopilot mode, confirmed to Business Insider that it’s “still investigating” an incident involving a Model X. This makes it clear that a recall isn’t going to happen any time soon, at least according to reports.
Tesla’s answer to the Autopilot system incidents?
“We will not be issuing a recall at this time but are continuing to investigate the issue. We are also planning to announce in the coming weeks updates to the Autopilot software that will provide additional safety features that have not yet been released,” a spokesperson told Business Insider.
Recently, Tesla has been under increasing scrutiny from regulators over how it deals with Tesla drivers under the hands-free Autopilot system.
Reports say that the company put off a recall despite a handful of crashes and consumer complaints regarding Autopilot.
When contacted by Business Insider, a spokesperson said that Tesla was not investigating all the Autopilot incidents, but that it is looking into about a dozen crashes involving the system.
Earlier this year, Tesla said in an email to members of its Autopilot community that it will “respond to request[s] for updates to the Autopilot system from our customers in a timely manner.”
Despite this, Musk threatened to take Tesla to court if the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) took action over potential road defects, and there was said to be nearly 10,000 pending private complaint.
Tesla’s Model X had problems on its opening day and is currently labeled as “pre-recall” and unable to be updated with new software until October 10.
Published under license from ITProPortal.com, a Future plc Publication. All rights reserved.